Virgin Mobile, LG and Android have produced a sensible, prepaid cell phone with all the perks that are available in today’s mobile world.
The LG Optimus Prepaid Android phone gives you all the power of a smart phone in a non-contractual package.
The Optimus is 3G and Wi-Fi capable and features a 3.2″ touch screen. No, it’s not “skateboard” size like some of the fancy-schmancy HTC and Samsung phones that are out there today, but it’s just large enough to be convenient yet not so bulky that it feels like you’re carrying around a pizza box.
Just like any phone on the Android OS, the Optimus allows you to develop your multi-tasking talents. You can listen to music, receive email, and browse the web all at the same time. When someone calls you can answer, and enjoy a conversation. When you hang up the Optimus prepaid phone will return you to exactly where you were before.
Android means Google. So you get all of those mega-features as well; Google Search By Voice Technology, Google Talk and Picassa for photos.
Android Optimus Apps
Oh, did you want apps? Yeah, the Optimus can give you those too! The Android market currently has more than 200,000 state-of-the-art, mobile applications and growing every day. Choose from banking, sports, humor, entertainment and critical business apps. And that’s just to name a few.
You want specifics? How about these:
- Android 2.2 Operating System
- Fast 3G connectivity
- Onscreen keyboard with Swype input
- Weight 4.7 oz. with dimensions of 4.5 x 2.3 x 0.5 inches
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1)
- What You Leave the Store With: LG Optimus handset, rechargeable battery, charger, 2 GB microSD memory card, quick start guide, user manual
What’s “Swype” Input?
Have you ever seen the kids swiping their fingers over a phone keyboard, one-handed and at lightning speed? Yeah, that’s Swype. Basically, you just drag your finger over the combination of letters in the word and message you’re typing..or swyping. The software recognizes the combinations and gives you the word(s) you’re looking for. It will also identify words that you may use often but that aren’t stored in its memory and give you the option of adding them!
Worried about the payments? Here’s the Virgin Mobile prepaid cellphone plans that work ideally with smart phones:
(Note: There are “voice only” plans available as well)
|Beyond Talk Plans||Web, Data Msg, Email||Anytime Minutes|
Disadvantages of the Optimus
- People who aren’t used to doing everything touch screen may have an issue getting used to it. There is no slide-up, flip-open keyboard. It’s all on screen.
- Not the biggest of screens. Like mentioned above it’s not gargantuan like some but it is still small in many respects.
- Does not support Flash.
- This is a solid, little phone that packs a punch. The screen and apps transition smoothly and the camera is surprisingly great.